What Is An Eye Stye
We will study here about eye stye causes symptoms and home remedies. We often see a person with a small boil on either of the eye lids. We wonder as to the cause and effect of such a protrusion. In medical terms, such a boil is called Eye Stye. Eye Stye is nothing but a small abscess of glands situated in the eyelids. These glands are formed near the eyelashes. The sty may occur on the outside of an eye lid or even inside. The reason for an eye stye to form is pretty simple, it is usually caused by infection of the hair follicle of an eyelash. In its fullest form, an Eye Stye resembles a boil or even a pimple formed on the eye lids close to the eye lashes. In most cases, these are caused due to the bacterial infections of the hair follicles, thus causing the obstruction of oil producing glands around the eyelashes or eyelids. This common infection or inflammation results from blocked glands within the eyelid. One must always remember though that Eye Stye is not harmful to the vision.
Eye Stye Healing
Eye Stye is an affliction of the oil glands situated at the hair roots of the eye lashes in upper or lower eye lids. It is a benign affliction and human body is quite tuned to fighting such infections. In most of the cases, stye will disappear on its own accord. Eye Styes are usually harmless and will go away after a few days on their own, as your body fights infection. Development and destruction cycle of an Eye Sty lasts between three and seven days. Once infection has taken place, it develops into a stye and forms a head. This may happen within three and five days. Within this period, defence mechanism of body kicks in and starts fighting infection causing bacteria. At this point in time, usually after seven days, once effect of bacteria has been neutralized, stye bursts and then heals on its own. Care must be taken however, to keep the site of the stye clean as the infection can spread and cause more styes. Also read home remedies for dark circles under eyes.
Eye Stye Causes
Although the primary reason of an eye stye is bacterial infection, some other reasons are mentioned below:
- The most common cause for a stye is by obstruction of orifices (known as openings) of oil glands in eyelids.
- Leaving eye makeup on for long durations, or incomplete removal.
- Wearing cosmetics that have outlived their shelf life, have expired or are improper for your eyes.
- Hormonal changes caused by various reasons.
- Eye Stye is also known to occur due to other infections of the eye like conjunctivitis, eye infections, and drying up of eye lids.
Eye Stye Symptoms
Most common signs and symptoms associated with Eye Stye are mentioned below:
- Pain in the eye or eyelid, felt by touch or even during blinking.
- The affected eye has blurred vision.
- Visible redness, swelling, and pain in the affected area of eye.
- An external eye stye becomes visible due to formation of a head or a boil. However, the internal stye may not be visual.
- A lump on the top or bottom eyelid.
- There may be a discharge from the affected eye.
Home Remedies For Relief From Eye Stye
- In a bowl, put a handful of fresh parsley and pour boiling water into it. Allow it to stay in boiling water for about 8-10 minutes. After it cools a little, soak a clean cloth in it and place the cloth over effected eye. Remember to keep your eye lids closed. This procedure can be followed two to three times a day.
- Dandelion Tea is a good anti bacterial agent and regular use can get the body rid of bacteria that may cause sties.
- If you can not find Dandelion Tea, get hold of a regular non herbal tea bag. Moisten it with warm water and place it over the effected eye overnight with help of a clean bandage. This is known to be an effective remedy and in most cases, stye will be gone by morning.
- Other than these, slow massage of eye lids with a soft cloth soaked in boiled water or in alum water can bring relief from pain