We will talk about chronic chapped lips treatment because there are many adjectives that pay homage to the beauty of lips. Luscious, pink, soft, moist, petal like, all these explanations about lips make them a very desirable part of the body. However, this beautiful part of the body often faces damage and aggravation due to various reasons. Everyone will agree that chapped lips are the single most common factor that can tell about a person. Why does it happen? Through various researches and observations chronic chapped lips can now be categorized under a set of reasons. After much thought, we have compiled a list of ten most common causes for chronic chapped lips. More than one case of chronic chapped lip is caused by one of these ten factors:
Chronic Chapped Lips Treatment
1. Most common reason stems from your daily foods and supplements. Yes, foods and supplements with excess vitamin ‘A’ can cause peeling of lips. Taking a considered decision at keeping the intake at below 25,000 I.U. per day can help fight this cause.
2. Another culprit arising from supplements is vitamin B12. This can lead to cobalt allergy and make your lips swollen in appearance with thick crusts.
3. Have you lately checked what kind of toothpaste are you using? Guiaazuline is a common ingredient of many types of toothpaste and can cause allergy leading to swollen lips.
4. Fond of chewing gums, are you? Well, be advised, chewing gums, candy, lozenges and even your favorite mouthwash contain red dye which is very likely to cause allergic reaction.
5. Many people are allergic to metals. Things like coins and even paper clips can lead to allergic reaction which might manifest itself in the form of chronic chapped lips.
6. Vitamin ‘C’ can cause photo toxic reaction in some people. So, if you are allergic to Vitamin ‘C’, be careful while ingesting citric foods.
7. We like our chewing gum cinnamon flavored. Well, it is quite likely to cause allergic reaction as well.
8. Sub standard lip sticks with harmful agents can cause chronic chapped lips.
9. Sometimes, the products we use to take care of our lips can cause allergic reactions. If your lip care product has Salol in it, it could be the reason why you have those chapped lips.
10. Along with cinnamon, figs also cause photo toxic reactions. This happens when they come in contact with lips during ingestion.
More about skin problems ? Read How To Treat Boils At Home
How To Prevent Chronic Chapped Lips
Prevention is always better than cure. So if you can, arrest the problem before it starts. Here is how:
- Sun rays can be harmful. Avoid prolonged exposure.
- Keep your house well ventilated to allow for balanced humidity.
- Getting out in cold dry weather without applying lip protection is not advisable.
- Dry and hot weather demands that a suitable sunscreen or SPF cream be applied on lips before exposure.
- Beeswax can provide effective protection from chapped lips.
- It is always advisable to moisten lips with a little petroleum jelly before applying lipstick.
Chapped Lip Treatment
Although prevention can help, it may not cure chapped lips. Following list of ten methods of treatment can help you get out of it:
1. Smoking and drinking or even coffee addiction can bring about the chapped lips as caffeine and alcohol are major tissue dehydrators.
2. A multivitamin supplement for chapped lips caused due to nutritional deficiency can be very helpful.
3. Calcium, magnesium and flax seed oil taken as a combination can provide relief from chronic chapped lips. These are available in milk and milk products, almonds, tofu, beans etc.
4. If you need to apply lip balm, be sure that it does not contain Salol or any other irritant. Lip Balms with a cocoa butter, beeswax or petroleum jelly base are normally safe to use.
5. Aqua therapy for fluid freshening can be achieved by drinking 10-12 glasses of water a day. This increases moisture in tissues reducing inflammatory problems.
6. If you like to smack your lips over flavored lip sticks, you are inviting trouble. Avoid these.
7. If you have sensitive lips, do not use lip sticks with camphor as base. The tingling sensation caused by camphor can be harmful.
8. A home grown remedy in the form of an ointment made of 1 tsp glycerin, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp castor oil should be spread on chapped lips overnight.
9. A well ventilated house can help your lips remain healthy and pink.
10. Moving out into extreme weather without adequate lip protection is not advisable. A thin spread of petroleum jelly can do the trick.